Build a hand for myself and become a volunteer

General discussion related to getting started.
mlarson

Build a hand for myself and become a volunteer

Postby mlarson » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm in my 50's and was born with ABS and am missing most of my left hand. I've never really thought much about it, and certainly never thought about getting a prosthetic.

I've been interested in learning more about 3-D printing and I happened to come across a YouTube video by one of the e-Nable volunteers and it really struck a chord. I'd love to become involved and as a way to get started I think it would be cool to build a hand for myself.

I've done some research and have watched just about every video I can find and am pretty sure I know what it is I'd like to build. In order to get started though, I am going to need a little advice from someone who is experienced on the technical side.

I live here in Austin, TX, and will also need to find a printer here at some point.

I look forward to any advice you all might have.

Thanks!

Mike

Jonathan louis

Re: Build a hand for myself and become a volunteer

Postby Jonathan louis » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Hey Mike, i know it's frustrating not to get a reply so i am going to take the plunge and see if i can help.
What is it you would like to know?

Dukenukem117

Postby Dukenukem117 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:02 am

Hi Mike,

I don't know where the status of this is given over a month has passed, but I've been looking for a volunteer for a test project. I have a very specific industrial 3D printer that can do fiberglass reinforced parts, and it makes incredibly strong parts if properly reinforced. Ever since getting this, I've been wanting to build the most durable and strongest gripping hand possible. But due to the high cost of the proprietary printing material, and the high scaling ratio needed to fit the fiberglass, the best candidate would be someone who is done growing and will use a hand until it breaks.

I'm more than happy to donate my time and my machine time when its not in use to construct it, but I can't afford to pay for the material as well. I don't know how much it would be, but my guess is $150 or more. Thats a bit much for a kid, but for someone much older, it may be a bargain if it means years of use. This is a first-of-its-kind to my knowledge R&D project, so I dont know how much better the results will be compared to a standard ABS/PLA hand. I dont know how long the build will take, as it could be a week to print this thing at 100 micro (the only resolution I can do). But if you are interested, give me a call or text at 626-four six six - six zero three four. I will need you to pick out one of their hands, get the proper scaling ratio, and I can then slice the parts and give you an idea of how much it would cost in raw materials. If its within your budget, we can go from there.

Best,
David

Here are examples of past prints that I am free to show:
https://imgur.com/a/8ReJq

LelandGreen

Postby LelandGreen » Tue May 22, 2018 11:38 am

If I can be of help, I'm confident that I know how to do the scaling, and have earned my first two badges on https://www.enablewebcentral.com.

Feel free to send me a private message here or visit my website and contact me there: http://LelandGreen.com

Have you created a case on enablewebcentral.com? If so, what's the case number? I can volunteer there, as well.

(I've just signed up on the forums, so am new here, and just started reading some of the posts.)

Return to “General Getting Started”