Printer question: UM2+ or UM3 (or something else)

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
ChrisCarless

Printer question: UM2+ or UM3 (or something else)

Postby ChrisCarless » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi all

I am about to buy my first printer so that I can stop lurking and get properly involved. I am fortunate to have a good budget and after a lot of reading around it seems like an Ultimaker 2+ would be a fairly foolproof choice for someone who is new to the whole thing.

Then I started wondering about dual extruder printers. I can't afford a new UM3 but there are some used ones around that would probably cost about the same as a new UM2+. Given that I'm not a CAD expert, is it likely that I'm going to be able to get any real value from two extruders?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Chris

airscapes

Re: Printer question: UM2+ or UM3 (or something else)

Postby airscapes » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:41 pm

I Chris, I am new to E-Nable and fairly new to 3d printing after buying my first printer in Feb. I can tell you this is not plug and play, there is a steep learning curve with the slicing software and the way it affects your prints. I too had considered a duel extruder but decided it would probably complicate things more than it was worth. I do not regret the decision. I can not comment on the printers you are considering as I went with a model that has kind of fallen from the front lines but was tops for more than a few years as I saved my extra $$.
Good luck with your choice!

Return to “Technical Q&A”