Printers and Printing Materials

Further development: Dexterity Hand by Dominick Scalise
Ken Bice

Printers and Printing Materials

Postby Ken Bice » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Use this topic to post about 3D printers and printing materials, recommendations and issues with printing the Dexterity Hand

Ken Bice

Re: Printers and Printing Materials

Postby Ken Bice » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Following is the text within a post by Dominick Scalise that I have copied to here:
“I would like to state something that is important in my view of things. The dexterity hand is more of an instrument and in order for it to work at its best. It needs a great printer to make it. My concern is that most of the printers are not up to the challenge to make this instrument. It would be great to develop the hand so that any printer can print it but at this stage, that is not the case. That's why I think it is important to find the right printer for the job. Just something to think about. There are going to be a lot of unsuccessful prints. It is important for us to come to realize this fact. That's why its also important I think, to find a standard in a 3d printer. One that has value and performance. Consistency is the key to the dexterity hands success. And I want you to know that we are just talking. Thanks for the support.

One more thing. If we decide to elect a certain printer. I will buy one and support you with
It on my YouTube channel ( let's make it happen TV. ) that way we will all be on the same page.”

Intrudermax

Postby Intrudermax » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:19 pm

I am currently running a print on a Prusa MK3. I'll let you know how it turns out. One thing I will note off the bat is that the current orientation of parts makes extensive use of supports, which either makes the surface rough at the interface or really adds to the post processing. I will try a couple of different slicers to see if their support algorithms make a difference. Also, when I get my multi-material setup I will try with soluble supports.

Has anybody done a good study on number of perimeters vs orientation vs infill? To the best of my knowledge, perimeters provide more structural strength than infill.

Barry

airscapes

Postby airscapes » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:36 pm

Barry, I think it depends on the part.. there is an Art part to 3D printing.. how you set the object up, where the support goes, support resolution, custom support, adding and remove from the default. Depending on the size and shape of the part, size of the nozzle and type of filament, the number of perimeters can help or hinder. If you have a .25 nozzle printing something a few mm wide and you want it solid, you may want 2 perimeters and 100% infill but a big part may be better off with 3. I don't think more is better once you get past 3 as the layers and outlines are next to each other and not over lapping which tends to shear apart depending on the shape of the part. Also on a small part with too many perimeters you can end up wit an empty space when a full extrude will not fit if you don't have the slicer set to allow variable extrude width. I find that on parts like this, less perimeters with the gapfill setting give a stronger part as the fill is on a 45 to the perimeter.. but I am no expert.

Update: Just ran into this issue with a cat5 holder using a .5mm nozzle.. One outline with gap fill will be much stronger than 2 outlines that will have air gaps

2 outlines
2outlines.JPG
2outlines.JPG (155.6 KiB) Viewed 22 times

1 outline

1outline.JPG
1outline.JPG (218.1 KiB) Viewed 22 times

Ken Bice

Postby Ken Bice » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:56 pm

This is also from Dominick’s Facebook post:
Having a good printer is important. And I'm sorry to say that as far as I can tell, PLA is not going to be a good choice for the material. ABS works better. However, Im looking into different materials. With PLA the plugs probably won't work at all. You will need to glue them in.

Return to “Dexterity Hand”